Not only is the hot sunny weather right around the corner, so is the A5 & S5 convertible . Now this beautiful convertible might not be here untill late into the Summer, but you will have it ready for those warm nights when you are driving into the sunset. This is not just any soft top convertible; it is equipt with Audi’s pioneered Quattro (All Wheel Drive) system so if the rain or snow hits you will have no problems! (not to mention it only takes 15 seconds to open and 17 seconds to close the top!). Audi makes the most versatile convertible sports sedan on the market and it is available with multiple engine options, so whether you are looking for performance or fuel economy, Audi has it covered. I always liked how Audi used the soft top convertible as opposed to the hard top. For a lot of different reasons, including weight savings, space savings and just overall look, I think they made a great choice.
Key Points Summary
• The A5 product line is now expanded to include Cabriolet models with three powerful and fuel-efficient powertrains (2.0 TFSI 4 cylinder, 3.2 FSI V6, 3.0 TFSI V6 with supercharged technology).
• A5 Cabriolet features ground-breaking soft top technology for elegant styling, superior room and storage space, and superb driving dynamics.
• Unique 50/50 split rear folding seats allows maximum storage flexibility
• Audi Drive Select (adjustable engine/throttle mapping, suspension damping, and dynamic steering) is a benchmark in the segment and industry.
• New optional quattroSport rear differential enhances agility.
• USA market launch for A5/S5 Cabriolet is Fall 2009, as 2010 model year.
• A5/S5 Cabriolet replaces the A4/S4 Cabriolet.
• A5/S5 Cabriolet interior and exterior distinctive features include:
o New rear LED lighting
o Sport seats with unique interior color offerings
o Cloth convertible top features Audi Acoustic Roof technology for a quite interior.
• Typical Audi interior design is modern and sophisticated, with clear attention to detail, including 1 liter bottle holders in each door.
• S5 Aluminum-optic exterior accents include front and rear diffuser blades, mirror housings, and four exhaust pipes.
• Modular Longitudinal Chassis architecture is the foundation for a benchmark sport sedan.
o Extensive use of new ultra-high-strength steels increase rigidity of the body while also reducing weight.
o Repositioned clutch / torque-converter allows more forward position of front axle.
• Better agility and turn in
• Better axle load distribution
• Shorter front overhang
• Longer wheelbase = more comfortable ride
o Repositioned steering rack, lower and closer to the wheel carriers lowers center of gravity and provides more direct steering control/feedback.
o Sporty proportions and muscular stance enhanced due to longer, wider, and lower dimensions.
o Reduced front overhang adds to visual sportiness.
Powertrain and Performance
• The following power train configurations are offered in USA:
• A5 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI specifications
o FSI direct injection with turbocharging
o Audi Valvelift System
o 211 hp – 258 lb-ft torque
o quattro® all-wheel drive (standard with 40/60 rear biased torque split) or FrontTrak front-wheel drive
o Tiptronic 6 speed automatic transmission for quattro model or Multitronic continuously variable transmission for the FrontTrak model
o Top speed 130 mph
• A5 Cabriolet 3.2 FSI V6 specifications:
o FSI direct injection
o Audi Valvelift System
o 265 hp – 243 lb-ft torque
o quattro all-wheel drive with 40/60 rear torque bias
o Tiptronic 6 speed automatic transmission
o Top speed 130 mph
• S5 Cabriolet 3.0 TFSI supercharged V6 specifications:
o S5 Coupe manual and 6-speed Tiptronic 354 hp / 325 lb-ft V8 continue for another year through the end of model year 2010; 2011 S5 Coupe will have 3.0 TFSI supercharger with 333 hp / 325 lb-ft, and manual and 7-speed S tronic transmissions.
o FSI direct injection with intercooled supercharger
o 333hp – 325 lb-ft
o quattro® all-wheel drive with 40/60 rear torque bias
o S tronic 7 speed double-clutch automatic transmission
o Top speed 155 mph
• Latest generation of quattro® all-wheel drive is employed, with asymmetric rear-biased torque split (40% front / 60% rear under nominal conditions).
• S5 Cabriolet only: New available quattroSport rear differential dynamically varies torque between the rear wheels.
• Fuel economy is significantly improved over A4 Cabriolet .
• Rear 50/50 split folding seats in A5/S5 Cabriolet (not available with competitors)
• Cloth convertible top for elegant styling, superior interior and storage space, and low weight penalty (for better driving dynamics)
• New head-level heating system with heated/cooled front seats
• MMI operating logic standard with central display screen
• Audi Drive Select – varies the engine, transmission, steering, and suspension damping characteristics to suit the driver’s preferences
• Audi Intelligent Key – stores service information in the key
• Advanced Key keyless entry and starting
• Bluetooth hands-free telephone interface
• Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
• Audi Parking System rear with rearview camera
• Electromechanical parking brake
• Hard-drive-based Navigation system with Audi third-generation MMI.
• Audi Side Assist lane change assistant
• Bang & Olufsen 505W sound system
Launch Timing and Pricing
• World auto show debut is Geneva auto show in March, 2009
• USA A5/S5 Cabriolet with all mentioned engine/transmission combinations goes on sale in Fall 2009 (as a 2010 model year vehicles).
• U.S. pricing to be announced later.